Audio Mp3

audio song

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

HDD 100%, no fixes found, most likely not a faulty HDD - Storage

HDD 100%, no fixes found, most likely not a faulty HDD - Storage

tomshardware.com

Jun 7, 2017 9:44 AM

Apparently this is a common issue with HDDs and Windows 10/8/8.1, but I hadn't heard of it before it happened to me. Sadly, my case doesn't seem to be so common.

Here's what's happened so far:
I bought a Lenovo 310-15IKB exactly 2 months ago from an online retailer, which, sadly, isn't based in my country, so it would take a lot of time to send it back to them and that's why I want to be absolutely sure I have no other options left.

I had some minor issues with Windows Update when setting it up for the first time, but I ended up just downloading the latest image of Windows and installing from that instead. All seemed fine. I was mostly preparing the laptop for studying and I didn't use it much, but then one day I decided to see how it works, play around with it a bit and so on. And it was unbearably slow. My brand new Core i7 with 8GB of 2133MHz RAM was as slow as my old single core Celeron netbook with 1GB of RAM. (Yes, I had one of those and it was a gift, don't judge me.) So I popped the Task Manager open and saw the 100% HDD. "Okay, something f*cked up, let's fix it."

Well, it has been almost a month and I've done anything and everything I found as a possible "fix" - Superfetch, Windows Search, BITS, Virtual Memory, Windows Defender Cloud, then replacing Windows Defender completely, Google Chrome settings, reinstalled Windows once from the same DVD, then repaired from a newly made USB to make sure. The HDD did fail Short and Long DST in SeaTools (it is a ST1000LM035-1RK172), but doing a Long Fix All in SeaTools for DOS fixed that completely, although it didn't affect performance. I've turned off notifications in Windows, Telemetry, turned off writing cache to the disk even. I cloned the HDD to a spare I've got (I am not sure it's in a great condition either, but I had to test it) and booted from it - even slower and still at 100%. Updated drivers for everything manually and updated using Lenovo's utility. There's probably even more things that I've done which I can't remember right now.

The laptop boots slowly into both Ubuntu and Windows (I installed Ubuntu a lot later, so it shouldn't be a problem with dual booting), but it doesn't show high percentages in NMON for disc utilization in Ubuntu, although it spikes very hard (50%+) every time any reading is done on the disk. It can sometimes calm down in Windows as well, but also spikes very hard (90-100%) when anything is read from the disk (just opening a folder can take up to 20-30 seconds). CrystalDisk Mark shows some very weird results - when plugged into my PC as a secondary HDD and when it is in my laptop and Windows is booted from it. I don't have an enclosure to test the drive as secondary in my laptop.

I'm already planning on replacing the HDD with an SSD, but I fear that the laptop might have a hardware issue not in the HDD (I'm thinking Mobo?). I've only tested the laptop with Lenovo's online diagnostics, except for the HDD (SeaTools for Windows, SeaTools for DOS, CrystalDisk Info, HDTune, dskchk, diskcheck through Ubuntu, etc.), so I wouldn't mind doing that if you have any suggestions for tools that might find the problem.

1 comment:

  1. Testimony on how i got my LOAN from fundingloanplc@yahoo.com

    I'm Isabella Tyson from 1910 N Halsted St Unit 3, Chicago IL60614 USA,, i have been searching for a genuine loan company for the past few months and all i got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end of the day took my money without giving anything in return, all hope was lost i got confused and frustrated, i find it very difficult to feed my family and vowed never to have anything to do with loan companies on net and went to seek of assistance from a very good friend which i explained all my experience regarding online companies with and said he can help me that he knows of a Godsent and well known company called FUNDING CIRCLE PLC, he stated he just got a loan from them although i was still very unsure about this company due to my past experience but i decided to give it a try and did as i was directed by my friend and applied, i never believed but i tried and to my greatest surprise i received my loan in my bank account within 24 hours, i could not believe that i would stand on my feet financially again. I’m glad I took the risk and applied for the loan and today i'm thanking God that such loan companies still exist and promise to share the good news to people who are in need of financial assistance because the rate of scams on net is getting very serious and i don't want people to fall victim when we still have genuine and Godsent lenders.. You can contact this Godsent company using the information as stated and be a partaker of this great testimony.. Email: fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622 thanks



    ReplyDelete